Re: A89: The logic behing signined and unsigned programs!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Michael Kristiansen wrote:
> Now everyone listen up:
>
> TI will (?) release two versions of the Flash SDK: a free and a professional
> version! With the free version you can write programs for the calc as usual!
> With the pro version you can write flash rom programs which can access the
> Flash ROM directly, like the calc itself does when getting a product code
> update! Imagine when everyone could write this kind of program:
>
> They could write programs which actually destroy the ROM so you'd have to
> send the calc to TI! And the question is if they will help you because you
> destroyed the ROM through a program you've downloaded from the web. That's
> why TI wants to sign flash rom programs with such powerful abilities like
> writes to the flash ROM!

When getting a signature for a program, does TI thoroughly check it?  I
sure that a determined hacker could hide something deep into a program.
I wonder what TI will do when software they authenticated killed your calc :-)

If TI would sign programs just for security, why the heck does it cost so
much?  If they charge Ti-89 like they do Ti-83+, with educational license
its _$33_ per _one_signature_, even if the program is released freeware.
And if someone else takes the source (which I always give out) and
improves the program to match his needs, another $33 for signature.

It's like an opposite of normal situation;  Normally, programmer makes
programs and sells them at $33.  But TI wants it to be; programmer
makes programs and pays $33 per program.

Here's how they responded when I let them know that as a freeware
programmer I'm very upset about the limitations on programmability they
will/have set on Ti-89:

"Texas Instruments appreciates your support of our products.  I understand
your concerns.  At this current time Texas Instruments does not plan on
offering signings unless you purchase the Educational or Professional SDK.
I will forward your comments to our SDK development team.

There is an 8KB limitation to the size of apps that can be created.  Texas
Instruments has no announced plans to increase this size."

(I deleted the parts that everyone has read a hundred times, headers
"ti-cares" and "kind regards")

> You should in fact be glad about this!

You can't be serious.

> Finally read this: Stop yelling at TI about the pre-release of ROM 2.01!
> It's not an official release, furthermore it's not even written by Texas
> Instruments! As long as you haven't got a clue about ROM 2.00 by TI, just
> keep quiet!

Quite true.  Though 2.01 is an excellent clue :-)  But the fact stands, TI
hasn't released it so.  Let's wait until they release "2.00" before
starting to riot.

	- Riba

Follow-Ups: References: