A89: Re: PR Hit -- Those bastards

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: PR Hit -- Those bastards

>as for the 512 bit key thingy, what we're saying is that we may get lucky.
>What if the code is the first one we try?  Statistics are nice, but flip a
>coin twice.  Odds are you'll get it heads or tails both times:P  Who knows,
>it may be something stupid like on spaceballs (1...2...3...4...5) :P

Okay, pick a random sequence of 512 heads and tails, then flip 512 coins and
see if you get that same sequence.  Like I said, it's like locating out a
specific Iron atom out that's somewhere in the universe.

I've seen 256-bit mentioned several times today so maybe it's a 256-bit, but
that is just as rediculous in practicality to crack. (1.84E60 years for the
entire keyspace with 1000 computers doing 2 million keys/sec).  RC5-56 took
distributed.net 250 days to crack, and that is a much smaller keyspace with
much more computing power.

OTOH, if every one of the 1000 people who theoretically participate in
cracking the code contributed a dollar to a fund, the resulting $1k would
make a nice "gift" to a TI employee who knows the key.

--Vincent