A89: Clocks

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Clocks

 > Does anyone, (hint: Olle, zoltan), know anything about clock
 > optimizations.  I am having a bit of trouble w/ a tile map routine in my
 > game and would appreciate any help given.  Thank you.

If you mean optimising for speed, there are no fixed rules. Basically
you get a 68000 manual, with all insn timing (the 68000 is simple
because there are no intruction interdependencies) and try to play a
mental chess game against the clock.

There are general guidelines, such as unroll loops (you save the
execution time for the looping) remove all loop invariant code from
the loop (obvious), use the instructions creatively to speed things
up (e.g. lea 10(a4),a4 is quicker than add.l #10,a4) and so on.

There are also tricks which you can utilise but there are no rules
about how and when to use the tricks. If you post/send the routine
in question then you can have more concrete help. Without knowing
what to achieve noone could tell you much.

Regards,

Zoltan