Re: A89: Saving your Flash Rom in 4 Easy Steps

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 03:09 PM 9/28/98 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 9/27/98 20:35:48 Eastern Daylight Time, oh@hem.passagen.se
>writes:
>
>> This only protects for "viruses"  (trojan horse is a better name)
>>  written in Basic

DIRECT FROM TI:

I am not specifically aware of any viruses that would damage the TI-89. In
order for a program to permanently write to the TI-89 memory, it must be
compiled by TI and turned into a special application that directly sends
information to the calculator. One example of this is the Flash ROM
versions that we have available on our web site. We also plan to release
other applets as time goes on. Since these applets and Flash ROM versions
will always be available from the TI web site, I recommend that you ONLY
download ROM applets or updates from our site, unless our site SPECIFICALLY
directs you to a third party site.
No TI Basic program should be able to access the Flash ROM portion of the
calculator and erase the ROM. Even if someone develops a way to damage the
ROM that is installed on your calculator, you will always be able to
download a good copy of the ROM from our web site and reinstall it. The
biggest potential loss is of your programs.