A89: Re: On-calc Compiler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: On-calc Compiler

>In one of Thayne Miller's last msgs, he mentioned learning, programming and
>running 68k ASM all on his calc.  I was curious what the likelihood would
>be of someone making a 68k compiler for the calc so that learning,
>programming, compiling and finally, running could all be done without the
>use of a computer.

It could be done, although it would take more time to compile (obviously),
take up quite a bit of memory (for translation from assembly language to
machine), and if the calculator locked up, you would have to put it back on
(wait, no you wouldn't...).  It seems feasible, and I have been thinking
about it for a while.  Actually, why don't we write one.  All we would need
to do is fit it in a somewhat small space.  The program to do compile
wouldn't fill up the ROM, and would speed up the development of programs
(since many people are rather bored in school and would like this).  People
have wanted this for most calculators but it seems most likely to be on the
89 and 92+.  If I'm wrong, please just tell me, no flames.

Just my 2 copper pennies.

----
Mathew Ryden
dryden19-2@idt.net