Re: A89: where to get one *OFF LIST TOPIC*

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: where to get one *OFF LIST TOPIC*

Note: the entirety of the below letter is not on the topic set by this
list.  If, for this reason, you would not like to read it, please feel no
obligation to do otherwise.

> Please, this is an ASSEMBLY list.  If a question is not directly related to
> assembly programming, do not post it here.

Awe, for once just SHUT UP (this is in no way aimed personally
at electrum, who I highly regard for his knowledge and contribution).
There is no off topic thread that's more common on these lists than
the one about off-topic threads!  And frankly, that's the one I'm the
most tired of hearing, by about a factor of three.  I've sent letters
condoning off-topicness before like this one.  They do no good.
The only way to combat off-topicness is for an administrator to
either preread the letters (practically impossible here) or send
personal mail to the offenders later (and then remove flagrant
repeat offenders) (this probably should be taking place but isn't).

My point is that everyone who's not an administrator should
tolerate it instead of fueling it.  If it's a valid question, answer
it or ignore it.  It's your choice.  Your only other freedom in
this respect is to sign off the list.  I personally believe everyone
has become way to strict in their definition of on-topic as well.
It's about the 89.  It's a valid question.  WHERE ELSE DO
THEY ASK?  Just pretend the name is Non-Basic-89 or
something like that.  We should open up our tolerance meters
a little bit here people.  And also, is it that big of a deal?
So one person just cost you 15 seconds of reading time.
Is that any reason for you to cost a hundred people the same?

Once again, this is in no way directed at electrum.  I have
been contemplating this for several weeks now and electrum's
letter just gave me a chance to express my opinions about it.
I've written as many letters like electrum's as anyone on the
lists.  Please don't take this as a personal flame or reply to
this with personal flames (I have no problem with constructive,
intelligent comments from opposing views).

All of this is IMHO.