Re: A89: Fw: StarFox -Reply

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Fw: StarFox -Reply

In a message dated 11/19/98 9:11:12 PM, Daniel7073@aol.com writes:

>> Is mario public domain, does anyone know?  is tetris even public domain?
>
>The TI versions are.  If you mean the real versions, Mario is copyrighted
>by Nintendo, and I don't think Tetris in general is copyrighted, but I may
>be wrong.
>
>Daniel Imfeld

"The TI Versions are..."  Can you talk about the legal stuff a little more on
that part...?  How come those games are able to be made, and StarFox89 can't,
both being from NOA right...? =P  Was this settled a long time ago about the
generalness of these two types of games? Well theyre still used by name... =P

Someone made a good point that if they called Tetris, "Falling Blocks", it
would not be the same. The name IS very important to a game also, and so is
everything associated with that Name... I'm sure we as programmers can invoke
our creativity and originality more, but its just good make a "Port" of those
great games from higher systems that we all grew up with and loved, as close
to the original as we could, to the Calculator...

So, well, the TI Community should just be allowed to make anything without any
threats such as this. An obvious reason that we do not charge for programs and
its just a hobby, BUT another main point that those higher companies just dont
get is that the games are going to a Calculator!  I mean, we are doing this
stuff to the best of Our and our Calculator's ability... You should not even
have to ask NOA for permission to do this... Ok, THEY should feel honored that
we continue to like that game, and we [Miles] were influenced enough by it to
want to write a port of it to the 89... ;)  Hmm, here's an option that can get
you by all this: Just get hired by NOA real soon and you can do anything you
want with it!  ;)
															--Jason K.