Re: A89: Fw: StarFox -Reply

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Fw: StarFox -Reply

Of course, I'm not really one to be giving legal advice, so I won't.
But I will mention:

It's been my experience that large companies have two main concerns:
someone will make a product and name it the same or similar to their
product.
1) This will confuse some customers, and they will lose market share.
2) If someone uses the alternate product, but associates it with the
original company, and the product goes sour, then they will associate
that with the company.

So for these reasons, they legally attack anyone when that
person/company can be legally attacked for copyright.

Obviously the graphics are not going to be even close to the original
game, due to resolution and color.  Gameplay, while reminiscent of
Starfox, will be severely hampered by the speed of the processor and
input ability.  Since you'll have to change both of these things, I
doubt(but am not certian) they will sue you for that.
But the name they can sue you for.  Since you are not making any money,
it would probably be less than a hundred thousand.  But whether you make
money or not, the name is legally their's and they have full right to
say what can and can't be done with it.  The only time(IIRC) you can use
a copyrighted name is when you have a well-established product which is
completely un-related to the other product, and it is clear to every
person who uses, or may use it, that there are two different products
with two different companies, AND your company and the other have both
agreed that neither is stomping on each others toes.

So:
Simply change the name.  I know, NebulaCanine is not as catchy, but oh
well.

-Adam