Re: A89: Re: Survey for the next version of PlusShell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 15:06 1998-11-17 -0500, you wrote:
>i agree with you in every case except two:  putsprite (including grayscale)
>and huffman.  neither of these are likely to be in the rom, and they are used
>commonly in games.  there's no need to waste space in every program when they
>all use the same routine.  if the routine is in the rom (util comes to
>mind...), then the library shouldn't be used.

First, there are so MANY ways one can implement a putsprite function.
Mask/no mask, grayscale/not grayscale, clip/not clipping, limited x size
(word)/no limit
etc. Those four flags makes it 16 different combinations, and I'm sure
there are
a lot more...

Also, a sprite routine is a very simple routine in m68k. The space you gain
from a library is lost in the library managment or the stub at the beginning
of the program.

Huffman is bigger, and can be made more generel. However, it still isn't
a big routine, and whatever you gain is lost in conveniance.

If routines started getting 1000 bytes or so, then libraries are justified.
But then the library itself should do the callingmanagment = still no need
for an OS.

//Jimmy Mårdell

E-mail: yarin@acc.umu.se
Homepage: http://www.acc.umu.se/~yarin/