Re: A89: Random routines

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Random routines

A random routine uses a seed (a number), and it performs certain operations on
the number to generate a new one.  The new number then becomes the seed.  That
is why computers can only generate psuedo-random numbers, they need a number
to start with.

If all TI-89 calcs use the same default seed, the you could write a BASIC
program that would set the seed to the default (I forgot how to do this, but
it's in the manual), then generate a random number.  They are guarenteed to be
the same, if the default seed is always the same.  ( You could rig a game this
way.  first set the seed to a certain value, then you know what all the random
numbers produced will be.  Get a guessing game right on the first try!)

Daniel Imfeld