Re: A89: About the Lib and Kernel question:

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: About the Lib and Kernel question:

Just a side note:  BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System, like Adam Davis
said, this would be the ROM on the TI-89 (even though it surpasses the simple
level, but there is no other BIOS chip).

The BIOS on a computer (Intel-compatible) provides functions like pixel
on/off, simple keyboard reading, graphics mode changing, disk I/O, etc.

By the way, Windows 95 and 98 do not actually load DOS.  They load IO.SYS,
which was rewritten for Windows 95, to start up, but MSDOS.SYS is used as an
INI file.  Command.com, the DOS shell (in which you type the commands), is
never started, unless you use the DOS prompt in Windows.  If a DOS program is
started, Windows sets up an protected enviroment for the program, and makes
the DOS Interrupts available.  DOS in Windows 95 and up only exists in a DOS
prompt started from Windows.  Windows 3.1 ran over DOS, and can be considered
a shell, but Windows 95 is an actual operating system.  It takes the place of
DOS, and DOS is never started.  I know this last paragraph is VERY off-topic,
but I just wanted to set the record straight.  And I am a Windows/DOS
programmer, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Daniel Imfeld