Re: A89: Re: Survey for the next version of PlusShell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Survey for the next version of PlusShell

The problem is that big functions usually are very specialized; if there is
a small difference in what the programmer needs and what is available, he
must copy out the routine again ... most graphics routines are like this.

The most important calls in util are the clear screen, getkey, randomization
and find pixel calls ... all of which are most likely in the rom.
grayscale libraries represent the quintessence behind libraries, but if
someone wants his interrupt to do something more than grayscale, he copies
out the routine again.
hexlib calls are probably in the rom; AAR they aren't common enough to
warrant place in a library.
Huffman, though the most common compression, is only best in a few cases ...
it's most useful application would be to compress basic programs (text) or
levels ... another scheme might be employed for graphics compression.
graphlib: forget about about it .. this library might be useful to newbies
trying out simple test routines

Though you might think the hassel is trivial, but as a programmer, I
personally don't like the idea of my program being dependent on external
code in order to run ... for a calculator that requires a shell, libraries
are acceptable because the program is already dependant on the shell; but
for calculators that aren't, this is not acceptable.  A program written for
the 89 should work on every 89 (on every rom version) and not _only_ until a
new standard is introduced.  Libraries defeat the purpose and elegance of
built-in assembly support

Finally, I seriously doubt that the makers of the current 89 asm games
haven't received enormous amounts of email over their games & libraries
problem (I've recieved emails myself, just because I've posted to this
list).  Libraries add an unneeded amount of complexity to assembly
programming, with little benifit to offer back

Aside, someone must have found the jump table used for ROM calls (if not,
then we're stuck with ROM version specific programs when the next version
comes out)
so please: share your information!