Re: A89: Re: Huffman

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Huffman

It's the Huffman Algorithm.  We just studied it in my Data Structures
Class.  When used for text, a reference table is made, and all the
characters are assigned new codes.  The most commonly used letter is giving
the code 1.  The next 01, the next 001, then 011, etc.  The decoding table
is used to take the code, and figure out which character it stands for.
I don't know how this applies to graphics though, as I think it is already
optimized down to single bits.  The text one, when encoding take 8 bits at a
t ime and iterprets it as an ASCII code, but maybe for graphics you could do
the same thing, with the most common combination of 8 pixels is given 1,
etc.
-Patrick Sweeney
Computer and System major.
RPI
psweeney@geocities.com

Justin M Bosch wrote:

> What is the algorithm used by Huffman anyway?
>
> Justin Bosch
> justin-b@juno.com
>
> On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:53:14 -0500 "Dennis Ng" <onpaws@geocities.com>
> writes:
> >
> >Well, in the ti-92 world, we used huffman compression to compress text
> >files
> >to view on our text viewers. That meant that you could take the whole
> >Caesar
> >translations onto a ti-92. As for graphics, it's the same thing... For
> >text,
> >however, huffman works very efficiently.

Follow-Ups: References: