Re: A89: two questions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: two questions

In a message dated 11/10/98 4:11:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ComAsYuAre@aol.com writes:

> > one, now this isnt really assmebly, but I thought someone here would
>  probably
>  >  know better than anyone else.  The question is this, why can't a user
>  > defined
>  >  function on the 89 use more than a few instructions?  I am making a
>  function
>  >  (it could be a program, but a function would be better.) and it won't
let
>  me
>  >  use sortA because it is an instruction rather than a function.  I would
>  >  atleast like to know why that is and possibly find a way out of it.  Is
>  > there
>  >  any a call that would let me easily do that?
>

>  a function cannot modify global variables. if you want to sort a list,
first
>  declare it as local.

not only can it not modify variables, but it cant run any non-function
instructions (i.e. sortA), things that do not return a value.  This I know,
but I was wondering why and/or is there a way around it like an assembly code
I could execute with exec (can that be used in a function).  Could I call a
program to sort inside the function?

~Chris