Re: A89: Survey for the next version of PlusShell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Survey for the next version of PlusShell

>The idea of a common bank of functions, not necessarily a library, is
>definitely memory efficient and helpful to programmers.  But rather than
>creating a myriad of libraries, why not append the most useful and most
>used functions directly to the operating system?  This way, no separate
>files are needed and thus the hassle of managing a collection of
>libraries is ridden.

I too agree that libraries are a good idea, and can see the possible
problem of everyone making their own libraries to do whatever.  The problem
with hardwiring them into the OS means that everyone must have the OS, and
that there is no way to improve the speed of the functions without messing
with the OS.  I think a better idea would be a standard library with
defined functions.  These standard functions should be decided on once and
_not_change_.  It should contain "the most useful and most used functions."
With this system different versions of the same library could be produced,
and improvements made, without making people keep multiple versions on
their calc.

	--Nate