Re: A89: Suggestion: A simple C compiler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Suggestion: A simple C compiler

In a message dated 18/12/98 17:09:07 Pacific Standard Time, Daniel7073@aol.com
writes:

> Personally, I think it would be really cool to do that.  I don;t think TI
> said
>  anything about replacing the ROM, so someone could build their own, even
>  though there is the possibility of messing up the calc permanently (I
think).

>  Daniel Imfeld

I've read a bunch of stuff on that, and there is a basic link routine
somewhere, probably in the ROM. Therefore, it is always possible to recover
from crashing the OS. TI cannot really provide this ROM upgrade feature
without being willing to accept the fact that someone can come right along and
make a new OS for the calculator. It would be like IBM getting upset because
someone installed Linux on their computer instead of IBM DOS 7.0. However, TI
does have the right to get upset- emotionally and legally- if the ROM that
they wrote was hacked. If someone ambitious (Jimmy Mardell?) would be
interested in talking to someone from TI (is Pat on this list?) about allowing
an extremely stable version of (z)Tetris to be put in the ROM...