[A86] Re: ROM / RAM equates database

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: ROM / RAM equates database

> Van: David Phillips <david@acz.org>
>
> > We don't need to display the database as-is on the website (you should
> > know that)...
>
> No, of course not.  However, it's import to know the nature of the data
s=
> o=20
> you can most efficiently store it in the database.  This is known as=20
> "normalization".

I guess that is what the "FCO-IM casetool" ( http://www.fcoim.com/ ) does
for you. You just enter phrases of the data you want in the database, and
the program creates the right tables.

> > Hubba?
> >
> > That would mean you need at least some >500MHz processor I think. Plus
> > only one person can update the site... (time, the final frontier...)
An=
> > you need to transfer the whole (megabytes big) database "up 'n down"
th=
> > line...
>
> Nah, you can easily run Apache with PHP and MySQL on a P133.  Remember
ba=
> ck=20
> a few years ago, when Pentium was top of the line.

Remember the Pentiums? Uhm, I'm typing on such a thing...

>  In fact, that's what=20
> our development box at work was for quite a long time.  I was quite=20
> surprised when I saw it for the first time, after having used it for
near=
> ly=20
> a year ("this is our dev box?  no way").  Granted, it had 128 megs of
ram=
> =20
> and was running FreeBSD.  The big thing is ram.

Okay, I'm out :-(

> If you are offline, then yes, you can't update the site.  What happens
wh=
> en=20
> you update something offline, while someone updates the same thing on
the=
> =20
> live site?  You have a conflict, and it needs to be dealt with.  There
ar=
> e=20
> many ways to deal with this sort of problem, but for something like this
=
> I=20
> would rather not deal with it.

I tought that would be a problem...

> A database doesn't have to be very big.  It's just text, so when you do
a=
> =20
> SQL dump of it, you just get text, plus the SQL commands.  Being text,
it=
> =20
> will compress very well.  If you were only going to add records while=20
> offline, you could just upload the changed ones, which wouldn't be that
b=
> ig=20
> (how much can you type or copy/paste?).  If you didn't want to mess
with=20
> SQL, it could have an interface to dump specific records, say those
creat=
> ed=20
> after a certain date, to a text like format, delimited with a special=20
> character or characters, that it could also import.
>
> It all depends on how much time you want to put into a side project
that=20
> isn't going to pay the bills.  With that in mind, I'd like to stick
with=20
> the simplest possible approach :)

Ah well, if the database is going to be managed by just one person then I
think it won't go anywhere far...

> > hmm... HTML is indeed 'readable' everywhere if you make yourself a
litt=
> le
> > angry to get a borwser working on that machine.
>
> Heh, what doesn't a browser run on?  My laptop is a P133 with 32mb of
ram=
> ,=20
> and if I bothered to reinstall X on there, it would run Netscape 4.77
jus=
> t=20
> fine.  As it is, Lynx works just fine :)

Yes, off coarse the is always Lynx (just never seen it, that's it).

> There is always plain text, but formatting is non existant and there is
n=
> o=20
> real form of indexing.  And then you could try to do old style Windows
He=
> lp=20
> format, or postscript or PDF, but that would be way too much work for
thi=
> s.=20

What? PDF runs as slow as {peep}. I always hate it when browsing I stuble
upon a PDF file (even on 'modern' PIII 650). Most of the time it has
content that could just as easely been HTML or even plain-text. And then
Acrobat Reader loads, and takes about 5-10 seconds till it displays
anything. When you scroll it always is 'behind' so it updates the page, and
there are always that 'pretty tables' with pictures and even some extra
tables inside, those are handled differently than the normal text content,
in way that it needs to calculate them from all above where the table
started, and then it takes loads of time till it reaches the page you are
looking at and you can see anything like understandible text...

	Henk Poley <><