[A86] Re: ROM / RAM equates database

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: ROM / RAM equates database

> I though we will need a 'backbone' to hang all the
> adresses/names/description at. So the format will be basicaly this type:

A database is essentially a two dimensional array.  My list of items was all
of the "columns" for each "record".  Each record would have all of the
items.

> [Name]
> No. | General | Ti73 | Ti82 | Ti83 | Ti83p | Ti83pSE | Ti85 | Ti86
> => What to do if there are more than 1 name used for the same thing on one
> platform? (AKA, are more dimensional arrays possible in MySQL?)

There are different ways of doing it.  The correct way is to have a separate
table and have the column be a foreign key to the separate table.  Or you
can just separate them with commas, spaces, etc.  Depends on what you want.

> [Description/Notes/Example]
> No. | General | Ti73 | Ti82 | Ti83 | Ti83p | Ti83pSE | Ti85 | Ti86
> => Normaly you will have only one description, in-depth description
(memory
> adresses used, etc.) can be strored in the platforms own records.
> => There could be made a seperate (source-)example table.

No.  If you look at Josh's list, he usually has a list of the routine names,
and a few words off to the side.  This would be a good way to display all of
them.  When you click on the name, you'd get a paragraph explaining the
routine.

> [Reference]
> No. | reference1 | ref..2 | --> 'ad infinitum'
> => (I mean like "See also: entry-number 100", Where 'entry-number 100'
> could off coarse could be replaced with the general-name)
>
> [Ti82 16.0]
> [Ti82 17.0]
> [Ti82 18.0]
> [Ti82 19.0]
> [Ti82 19.006]
> [Ti83 ...]
> [Ti...]
> No. | entry1 | entry2 | --> 'ad infinitum'

Hmm, that's an interesting idea.

> What about 'hyperlinking'? For example, in the description I say "the ROM
> call uses adress foobar", it would be nice if this word could be linked
> through to it's own entry. I do know that there is not really a
possibility
> of automating this kind stuff inside a database. This is more something of
> the program that uses the database.

Sure.  It'd probably be easiest to surround a name by {} or something in the
description, and have the code just parse that and display a link.

You are exactly right.  The database just stores data.  What you do with it
is up to you.

> The problem is that I would like it to be accessible off-line (via a
> program). I want to be able to add new records off-line, and be able to
> upload them later. Since I don't want to stay connected till I have (for
> example) added the aprox. 100 ROM calls I have already documented for the
> Ti83.

This makes it difficult, but it could be done.  Easiest way would be to have
you run a web server with PHP and MySQL on your computer, and then when
you're done, just dump the database and I could add it to the site.  You'd
probably only do this once in the beginning.

To view it offline, I could have it generate a set of static HTML files that
could be downloaded (tar/bzip2 them).