[A86] Re: SDCC v2.3.0

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: SDCC v2.3.0

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:21:39 -0700 "David Phillips" <david@acz.org>
writes:
> > #pragma output string name Description
> > #pragma output data icon 0xFF, 0x02,...
>
> I don't see how it is any different to write it in the Makefile than
> write it in the C file.  You'd have a skeleton Makefile where you
> just fill
> in the values.  If it's that big of a deal, write a custom
> preprocessor to
> strip them out or something.  That kind of stuff belongs in the
> Makefile or
> elsewhere, not with the code.  I'm glad Assembly Studio 8x 4.0
> removed
> .plugin and puts it in the project files, where it belongs.

If you can write the entire program in one file, it's much easier to pick
up.  The way description and icons are stored in the final program, it
might even make sense to use global variables for them.

Makefiles are nice, but if they aren't really needed then they only serve
to confuse new programmers.

In the case of AsmStudio and plugins, well that's telling it how to build
the program, program descriptions aren't.  Selecting the correct startup
code is similar, but what does the startup code do?  On the 86 at least,
startup code is unnecessary.  The header for program descriptions is
simple enough the compiler (or a plugin) should be able to generate it on
the fly, and only if it's needed.

-josh
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.