[A86] Re: ASM Math

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: ASM Math

Actually, the Crusoe is a modern processor that (as far as I know) doesn't
use microcode at all.  It has a very specially designed core, and Code
Morphing software that executes the code for the target platform using very
advanced dynamic recompilation techniques.  It's probably the only processor
on which code actually gets faster as it's executed multiple times.  I
suspect this will be the way most processors are in the future.

There's a really interesting article about it on their site:

http://www.crusoe.com/crusoe/download/pdf/crusoetechwp.pdf

(Not trying to contradict you or anything...just figured I'd mention this
since it's one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time)

> Modern processors get around this by using microcode, so asm is a higher
> level than on the z80 and older chips.  All the instructions in the z80
> are hard coded using simple logic gates.

Follow-Ups: References: