[A86] Re: vertical scrolling

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: vertical scrolling

Okay good point...

Now somebody should e-mail a/the webmaster of Ticalc.org, so he changes the
page wich describs how to get (un)subscribed to one of these mailinglists.
There should be explained how you can change the MIME-types under
MS-Windows. Most *nix OSes have things set right already, plus it's very
different if you use another window-manager or distribution, and most users
of these OSes are familiar with the 'deeper' layers of their OS.

Some text editors (like TextPad) under MS-Windows also set the MIME-types
(of text files) already to "text/plain". But when you install a program
like "Assembly Studio 8x" it overwrites these settings for *.asm (sets
MIME-type to ""), so you need to manually change them (again)...

Anyways, the subscription page needs a remake, some of the things there are
a bit dated, or could at least be changed... For example the old
unsubscribeadress of majordomo is still there. Thats why people have
problems with unsubscribing... Didn't visit the page for some time (why
should I?), so it could be changed already in the mean time...

> Or why can't people not be lazy and have their mail client send the
proper
> content-type for the files he or she is attaching?  Really, it's not that
> difficult.

Setting the MIME types isn't something we do every day, that's it...
Most people don't even now how to change them... (nor that it exists)

> Guessing a file's type by it's extension is BAD behavior.  There is a
> content-type for a reason.  IE attempts to guess what a server is sending
> based on the content and not the content-type sent by the server, and it
> causes a lot of problems with things.  The mailing list is configured to
not
> attach anything, which is fine, considering it is a text only list.  If
> people are going to be lazy and attach a file rather than pasting it into
> the email, then the mailing list manager will try to help him or her out
by
> inserting it as text.

Some times it's nice to not have the code in the e-mail, to seperate
things...

And come on David, why do you always have to flame?

	Henk Poley