[A86] Re: ? [OT]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: ? [OT]

com files run in real mode or virtual 8086 mode.  The chip is purposely
imposing those limits because the program is designed for them.
Protected mode does not have this limitation.  If you for some reasen
loaded a com file (or some other raw binary image) in protected mode,
you'd have 4 GB to play with.

1.5 GHz mac?  anyone?

ok, no fan is impressive.

The cpu would definitely generate less heat if it didn't have all the
extra transistors to support 8086 mode.  Whether or not that would let
you remove the fan, I don't know.

I remember a story from long ago (386 days?) when someone designed a pc
that had no fan, even in the power supply.  It was designed to use
convection to genereate airflow instead.  Customers wouldn't buy it.  Too
quiet!  No pleasing some people I guess. :)

-josh