Re: A86: Assembly Studio 8x released

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Assembly Studio 8x released

> Batch files are nice, but once you've tried make, there's no going
> back :)

oh, my. are we comparing batch files to make?! that's comparing oranges to sigfried & roy...
they're both fruit, but only one comes with a tiger.

> MSI is pretty cool, since it totally wraps an install and supposedly keeps
> it from getting screwed up and from screwing up your system.  Like if you
> delete a dll or exe from the program directory, it automatically reinstalls
> the missing file.

not from my understanding. msi is only to make sure that older versions of files don't get
overwritten upon the initial installation. when msi starts up, it generates its own symbols table,
so that it doesn't risk initially linking against a defunct library. or something.

> i'd still be happy with a simple zip file

see above; this provides no checking at the beginning. it has been continually shown that people cannot
unzip to proper directories on their own.

i'm not trying to advocate msi though... i think that installshield serves purposes well. however, using msi
is much less expensive. i'm still confuzzled about it borking on install for you though. i've never had any
problems with an install.

-Monkey

--
http://www.crackula.com | this tagline is very funny and probably