Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

I would, but there are no compilers out there that actually WORK. I've
tried small c, and that just didn't seem to align text and stuff like that
properly...Other C compilers just didn't have the necessary functions
included - I could make a text basted game at best.

rabidcow@juno.com wrote:

> does anyone really program in c for the 86?
> i'd think the 9k limit on regular asm progs & the oddness of structure
> required for larger programs would make a c compiler kind of
> inappropriate.
>
> some standard c library functions (malloc for one) don't work very well
> on z80 calcs (68k's must have different memory organization)
> the functions that do work tend to be provided in rom, but aren't in
> exactly the same place for all calcs, or (on less fortunate calcs) for
> all rom versions
>
> -josh
>
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 17:55:18 +0100 "Henk Poley" <HPoley@DDS.nl> writes:
> >
> > Okay for some of you this subject maybe falling from the sky, but
> > on
> > Assembly-83 we have been discussing about the phenomena
> > C-compiler...
> >
> > Some of us have even thought of porting GCC, but first off all I
> > think we
> > have to make a decission, which compiler are we going to support
> > (are we?).
> > Last years there have been made a couple of C-compilers all on their
> > own,
> > so no one off them is 'perfect'. There is now a compiler (a compiler
> > ?, we
> > are talking about TI-GCC!) for the 68k Ti's, and it's being
> > extensively
> > used. So I think the time is right to build one for the Z80 based
> > Ti's...
> >
> > Here's a quick inventory of all the C-compilers we have got and the
> > pro's and Cons. Maybe it's the best (if you reply) to copy this
> > message
> > rather than having all those "> 's" added...

> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Follow-Ups: References: