A86: 'Integrated' Shells

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: 'Integrated' Shells

I have been wanting a shell where I don't have to run the shell by
Asm(<shell>), or <Shell>. This is because I work often within the
shell, but want it readily available. Because of this, I tried KShell
and AsmOS. KShell modifies the Pgrm menu to seperate BASIC and Asm
programs, and put Asm( before the Asm programs. AsmOS allows you to
run Asm programs like BASIC ones on the homescreen. Neither one works
with Rom 1.3 or later, and lo, I have 1.6.

So, I decided to take a break from my TBS (Turn-based Strategy) Asm
coding and write my own shell that would work with pretty much every
ROM. All ROM versions seem to have the (sqrt)X stuff in the same
spot, so I decided to use sqrtKEY to check for the Pgrm press in the
homescreen (easy, and what isn't documented hasn't moved since
AsmOS/KShell were written). This works OK, but it does have the bad
luck of completely replacing the functionality of the Program menu,
which means I can't edit BASIC programs, or (if I was suicidal) Asm
Hex without ATE or some other editor.

Here is my question: has anyone actually tried figuring out how the
ROM calls it's editor? I don't need the edit MENU, since I already
have a replacement for it, and just want to have the user press Alpha
to edit BASIC programs. If not... do you think that people would find
it annoying to have a custom editor within the shell, and when using
Break/Goto, end up using TI's editor for speed/simplicity? Please
give input on both questions, as I would love to give the user an
option of choosing between the TI-BASIC editor and a stripped down
version of ATE for editing...

-Krev
--
----
"Science describes how our universe reacts in a mathematical