A86: apology and asm question!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: apology and asm question!

Sorry about that, I didn't meant to fuel any rabid off topic posts, but i
finally fixed my subscription to the list so it lets me post (yes, i did
go through the enitre communism saga) and wanted to test it out.  It
works :P

It seems the only posts left are mainly people who subscribe to the list
to almost have people write code or programs for them, and people who post
off topic.  So i feel compelled to ask an asm-related question.

We are all familiar with virtual pets, but somewhat cooler are something i
learned about recently (yes, I know they're old) are Screen Mates/Desktop
Buddies/Whatever you want to call them.  They interact with the user and
his/her desktop, but are not dependent for care/feeding/etc.  They're
adorable if that sways you any, but I would be interested in programming
one for assembly.  Is it feasable to have one running as a TSR at the home
screen?  I have played around with user interrupts (Built in TI-OS for
this purpose should be good) but found it hard to have the TI-OS coexist
peacefully with something displaying on the screen while being able to
perform math functions, etc.  So I do know that a combination user
interrupt and sqrt key (but i don't know exactly how to use those) could
achieve a little animated character on the desktop, with the sqrt key
detecting key presses to activate/deactivate.  And i know the curXapp can
be checked to make sure we are at the homescreen.  But I have had trouble
in the  past detecting menus that pop up at the bottom and having the
input keep going to the bottom of the screen.  Is there a way to decrease
the size of the text input as if a menu was opened (IE: when you hit
program, your text goes up a line and you are left with only 7 lines of
input).  Then the character could dwell in the bottom line and hang
around, and if it's possible to detect more free space on the home screen
(less lines of input used) it could roam around more freely.  There could
also be a screensaver mode... therefore, may possibilities, and anyone who
would like to collaborate on the project can contact me.  But the bottom
line comes down to detecting and "faking" in a way an open menu to
decrease the lines of text input at the homescreen.  Any help or
suggestions are welcome.  And this could help with another idea, of having
a taskbar on the home screen (like the icky start bar in windows).  That'd
be cool...

Thanks

Diego

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 RoniBarrett@aol.com wrote:

> We should petition ticalc for a new list. off-topic@lists.ticalc.org.
> That way, when things get too far off topic, we can move it someplace where
> nothing is off topic.
>
> Jeff Barrett

Follow-Ups: References: