Re: A86: Hi! It's Bubbaloo13 (grayscale)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Hi! It's Bubbaloo13 (grayscale)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:45:55 -0700 "David Phillips" <david@acz.org>
writes:

>> uh, well, yeah...  still, if you use any complex rom calls, you have
>> make sure you know whether or not they may trigger errors.  i
>realize in
>> most games that's not an issue,   but i wanna be picky!! :)
>
>Heh...I don't think I've ever used a ROM call that triggers an error
>in any
>program.

you shouldn't.  not if you're writing a game anyway.  almost anything
complex enough to generate an error is gonna be too slow.  i suppose the
only exception is stuff like trying to create a variable when there's not
enough free mem.

i never actually thought about it much until i was writing keylink (which
noone ever cared about :`(  ) and relized that even _getkey can cause
errors.

>> the link routine, as i was working on it, was gonna work in a sorta
>> "multitasking" kind of way.  the link routine had an entire
>seperate
>> register set and was set up to count time while it waited for link
>> transitions.  after a specified number of times through the loop,
>it
>> switched back and returned from the interrupt.  it might be better
>> occasionally steal the time in between interrupts, like every 10th
>time
>> or something.
>
>That sounds kind of interesting.  Does it use the "standard" method
>of
>transmitting bytes, or did you come up with your own protocal for calc
>calc?

i was using the standard method, so it would be possible to tell if the
other end was running your program or not without crashing anybody.  you
could send a test packet first and wait for a special reply.

a different method would probably simplify things a lot, but i didn't
wanna do it that way.

-josh

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.