A86: Grayscale

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Grayscale

I just had an idea about grayscaling.  So... most people don't use all their
storage memory... so you could have extra screens stored there (instead of
putting them in the back-end of the dedicated ASM space... well, you could
do both).  My guess is that (haven't read the code you guys have posted)
that to switch to another screen you guys' basically switch the port
location (does that automatically "re-write" the screen?).  So... with fancy
work you can use the places in RAM page zero to store more screens.  I know
the screen port can't be changed to a value that low; but you could copy the
stuff over to page 0.
okay... overview:  swap out the RAM page with another empty or close to one
(someone with a full calc would get an "not enough memory error").  Then the
blocks of memory there could be either copied to page 0 and then the port
could be swtiched.
Of course I don't know if this has already been totally tried out by
"everyone" and the z80 just isn't fast enough or the screen isn't or what
not.  I appoligize in advance if this just sounds lame; but I haven't ever
followed the grayscale threads and I've never used any in any ASM progs I
write.
Another idea:  you could write a side program for the computer that would
determin exactly what pixels need to be over written and stuff to make the
gray scale... that would most likely result in larger code... but possibly
faster grayscale without swapping pages... who knows...
--Joe

Follow-Ups: References: