A86: Re: Re: Account Abuse

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Re: Account Abuse

Although I find this interesting, I do not want to get involved in this
debate.  I just want to point something out that I have noticed, especially
since I have not noticed this in many other groups.

ACZ was started about a year and three months ago.  Ever since the
beginning, we have never had any predefined leadership roles.  Every member
is equal, and I doubt this will ever change.  Seniority and other factors do
not affect anything.  When a new member joins, he has just as much say as
someone who has been in the group since the beginning.

Any major decision, such as a new member, is made by the entire group,
either as a discussion or a vote.  Votes are almost never a yes or no type
of vote, but a discussion where each member states his feelings on the
issue.  Votes on new members (which is about the only thing we really need
to make decisions about) are always unanimous for several reasons.  The
first is in order to keep members from getting upset.  The second reason is
that if someone has an opinion contrary to everyone else, they have a good
reason for it.

This system is not exactly numerically fair, of course.  If a member doesn't
want to state his opinion, then they don't get any say in the matter.  But
that is his choice, and is not because of some artificial system.  The
members with natural leadership tendencies will obviously come ahead in
these matters.  But it is in a natural manner, and not artificial.
Therefore, it is generally accepted by everyone, at least much more than in
an artificial leadership system.  Whenever there is a group of people, some
of the people will be leaders and some will be followers.  Doing anything
else goes against the natural system and tends to cause problems.

People that naturally lead do so because that is what they want to do.  A
person will take charge because he wants to change or accomplish something.
Other people will follow because that is what they want to do, rather than
being told to follow.  Problems arise when artificially created leaders inte
rfere with natural leaders.  A person will be artificially put in charge of
a group and want to do something one way, but will not want to do it
themselves.  The person that is instructed to actually do it will want to do
it differently, which causes problems.  Members that follow other members
will do so because they respect their opinions and experience.

A major drawback is that some members will not want to do anything at times,
or will not be motivated to do something, and without any defined
leadership, it is hard to change that.  However, a natural leader should be
able to inspire them to accomplish things, or else they should not be in the
group in the first place.  If a member is not going to do anything, then
that cannot be changed, no matter what.  Another drawback is that the
members with natural leadership skills will eventually get tired and burned
out.  But at that point, they need to either take a break, or find something
that they enjoy doing.  An artifical leader will not be able to inspire
them, but will rather just make them frustrated and upset.

I realize that this system will not work for everything, and will not work
with large groups.  It is a perfect solution for a perfect problem, which of
course doesn't exists.  But I believe that for small groups, this is the
closest thing to the best solution.

Later,

--
David Phillips <david@acz.org>
http://www.acz.org/

> I formally request that the real, exact reason why this action was taken.
> did nothing to warrant such an extreme course of action.  Also, I am under
the
> impression that Nathan is the "head" of the News section and is also the
person
> in charge of deleting comments.  After talking to him a few days ago, I
> discovered that he was on vacation while this whole drama took place on
your
> staff mailing list, and he had no real input into the decision.  He
doesn't even
> understand fully why this action was taken.  This completely baffles me
why
> Nathan of all people wouldn't know this.  Why don't you explain
yourselves?

> Bryan
>
> "Let me remind people that we're not in the business of censorship" -
Chris
> Dornfeld, 4 November 1998

Follow-Ups: References: