Re: A86: pharsing? home screen entries

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: pharsing? home screen entries

_LASTENTRYPTR             equ         0CE2Ah
_LASTENTRYSTK             equ         0CE2Ch
_numlastentries           equ         0CEACh
_currlastentry            equ         0CEADh

tokenizing is a method of compression by replacing known common sequences
with shorter ones, ie "Disp" is replaced with a single byte.  this not
only makes the program take less space, but it speeds up parsing.

parsing (no h) is where the program (or a single command) is scanned to
determine its meaning.  this has to be done before the command can be
executed, but might be considered the first step in execution.

technically, the code is parsed while it is being tokenized, then each
tokenized command is parsed before it is executed.

the best way to deal with the entries is to leave them in tokenized form
and simply modify that.  if you can't do that, you'll have to copy them
into a temporary variable and use _detok.  then, after you've modified
them and want to put it back, you recompile (tokenize) and copy them
back.
another problem is that the entries are not a fixed size.  if you change
the size of any of them, you have to adjust everything after that or some
entries will be lost or destroyed.

-josh

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 15:07:05 EST TI86Z80@aol.com writes:

> I am trying to write a program that modifies entries that were made
> from the
> home screen. I was wondering where the entries are stored in RAM and
> how to
> access them. I think that after the entries are stored they are
> either
> pharsed or tokenized?!?!? but I don't know what either of those
> mean. (could
> someone explain) Also could you tell me how to unpharse/untokenize
> the
> entries so that I could use/modify them in my program. Thanks a ton!
>
> Any info at all will be a big help. Andy

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.