Re: A86: Symbolic Program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Symbolic Program

oh no, someone has no idea how difficult life is...

A while back I had a good idea of how to do this.  First you replace the
tios with something lispish, maybe more like logo if anyone's seen that.
This would easily fit in 128k of ram, but it would mean none of the old
programs/games would work at all.  It would also be fairly difficult and
probly take at least a year.

Now that'll make it a lot easier to manipulate symbols which, as you may
have guessed, is quite important for symbolic manipulation.  So after
that all you need to do is write the use input routines to parse through
and separate the tokens properly, the output code to do some nice pretty
printing, and all those pesky little rules to do mathematically correct
manipulations on the equations in memory.  I'd figure it'd take only
about 2 or 3 years (after the lispish stuff works) to get it to the point
where it's really useful.  And I'd say you'd want a team of at least 4 or
5 people, more likely something like 12.

That give you an idea where to start?

-josh

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:42:54 -0500 "Jeff S." <kjshumate@lycos.com>
writes:

>     Could someone make a symbolic program for the 86 similar to the
> 89's(ie. x+x=2x).  I would do it but I have no idea where to start.
>

> Get FREE Email/Voicemail with 15MB at Lycos Communications at
> http://comm.lycos.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.