A86: Re: re:a86:gbdk

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: re:a86:gbdk

From: Robin Kirkman <misty@drrobin.yi.org>

> to my knowledge, [scrolling and sprites are] handled by the processor
itself.

From: Cavan Carroll <cavanc@hotmail.com>
> Scrolling and sprites are controlled by the video hardware on the GBs.
> [...] the game's ROM points to the  location of a sprite and then the
> video hardware deals with it.

Ok, so is scrolling and spriting handled by the software or the hardware?
I guess I could check around for some GB emulation documentation.

From: Jeff Barrett <kanebarrett@worldnet.att.net>
> [To handle sprites and scrolling on the TI-86 one must] add routines to
> the program itself, making more work, bigger program files, and
> slower execution.

Execution speed would definitely be effected if the graphics are handled by
the hardware, but if they are just ROM routines then speed wouldn't be an
advantage.  Either way, it certainly requires more work and bigger programs
on the 86 :)

What about button input?  Are the GB's key inputs better suited for video
games (I mean from a programming prospective, not physical keyboard layout)?

Interesting discussion, thanks,
DK

Follow-Ups: References: