Re: A86: _vputs strikes again... again???

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: _vputs strikes again... again???

In a message dated 11/23/99 15:30:59 Eastern Standard Time,
croop@oregontrail.net writes:

> > shiftflags does nothing to _vputs, but why don't you use shiftKeepAlph to
>  > keep alpha lock on?
>
>  Because I want it to stay off, not on.  And I especially want the 2nd
>  shift to stay off.

You really should just use _getcsc (_getky, _get_key, whatever...).  It
treats 2nd and alpha the same as any other char.

>  > have you tried setting a breakpoint on the line after returning from
>  > _vputs to make sure it's actually crashing there?
>
>  Yes.  It never makes it out of _vputs.  It dies in the middle of a
>  character.
>
>  > _vputs will never execute any code in ram, here's a list of flags and ram
>  > addresses it uses:
>
>  Then something is REALLY wrong, because it is definitely executing RAM
>  system data, thinking it is executable code.

It's most likely that your interrupt is either messing up a register,
corrupting memory, or changing SOMETHING it shouldn't be.  You could try
testing it with that interrupt disabled.

>  > 0,(iy+$1d) - cleared in _vputmap,_vputs, tells it to ignore screen
>  > limits?
>  > _penCol, _penRow
>  > 3,(iy+$1b) - tells it to use _STATED_CUT_COL
>  > _CXCURAPP
>  > _STATED_CUT_COL
>  > 6,(iy+$18) - textwrite,(iy+new_grf_flgs)
>  > 1,(iy+$05) - textEraseBelow,(iy+textFlags)
>  > _winBtm
>  > 1,(iy+$23) - alt_vfont,(iy+exceptionFlg)
>  > _altsfontptr
>
>  Question:  if it thought there was an alternative font, and there really
>  wasn't one, could that cause what is happening?  Maybe the vfont flag is
>  getting turned on somehow...

Nah, it has a verification byte.  And besides, it would just go and display
the alternate fonts, not crash.

----
Jonah Cohen
<ComAsYuAre@aol.com>