A86: Re: _vputs strikes again... again???

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: _vputs strikes again... again???

Without seeing your code, I would guess that your interrupt handler is
trashing some memory/register/flag while _vputs is running (though you'd be
very lucky to have the interrupt run at the exact time _vputs ran).  Did you
try setting the flag that forces alpha lock?  You could do that or use
_get_key and not worry about key state.

> I'm having some problems, and they are nasty, and I'm quite surprised to
> find that they stem from _vputs.  For some reason _vputs crashes in the
> middle of a string.  I was attempting to print the string 'SUCCESSFUL',
> which is a part of my program that has worked for a long time until I
> began fiddling with it again tonight.  It gets to the second 'S', but
> only prints the upper half of the character, and then it dies.  The
> emulator says that at this point it is running an endless loop in a
> memory area that is supposed to be nonexecutable system data.  I find
> this very strange.  The modifications I made to the program do not seem
> to include anything that could possibly affect _vputs...  One
> modification is the addition of a temporary interrupt handler routine
> that constantly loads $00 to (IY+shiftFlags) to cancel out the 2nd and
> ALPHA keys for a key input routine (I did this to make it impossible to
> turn it off while inputting a password).  This routine does not seem to
> be possibly detrimental to _vputs, but it is the only explanation I can
> think of.  Also, this only happens after I run the program several
> times, which further confounds me...
>
> What external conditions does _vputs require to run properly?
> (variables, obscure memory areas, ... I wonder if I could be overwriting
> the character bitmaps or something??? where are those?... I'm at a loss
> here...)
>
> Cassady Roop

Follow-Ups: References: