A86: Thoughts with the multi. connect thing

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Thoughts with the multi. connect thing

Does this sound like it could work:

Someone (or many people) develops a shell that has two parts, a server and a
client.

The server code would be small, enough to supply its own link routines, and
enough to run (no need to do anyhting fancy like display info, display progs,
etc). The calc would contain progs, games, etc (not as a part of the shell
that could be transmitted (like the TI-OS does now) to the client calc when
he downloaded them. The server could be used for 3 things (not all at once,
unless it were possible. maybe overclock the calc?) chat, file transfer,
multiplayer games. The server would have a minimal GUI that listed those
three features and when one was selected that was what is happening. If the
selection moves, it switches modes (and the clients screens would be updated
with a message if connected to the server).

If the server was in chat mode it would give an area where people with the
client could talk to each other. The chat would be built into the
server/client and would need to be run on the client from the shell. Nothing
would appear on the server calc screen during chat, it would just send out
the messages to the other calcs connected.

The client would be like a shell today, with a few differences. It would list
the progs on there calculator. Here is the addition, when connected to the
server (through the server dir in the shell) it would list the progs on the
server calc (if the server calc was in file mode). Now when you select a prog
on the calc server it would transfer it to your calc so you could play it (or
just transfer that required stuff to play).

Someone would have to develop a device (here is the hardware part) that
allowed multiple calcs to connect to it. Something like an octogon-shape that
had 7 ports, and the end of a link cable (on the 8th side) to connect to the
server.

You would take your link cable, connect it to the hub (tiHub, sound good for
a name?), run the client shell on your calc and off you went.

That was a long ramble, but it was what I have been thinking about latly, and
with all of this discussion on networking, etc I thought it would be
something to let out. This would be great for multiplayer games (think
bomerbloke :) Let me know if this would be at all possible. I have a little
asm/hardware experience (more C experience) so I could help a little, but
would need some major help.

Ben