Re: A86: List / Challenge idea

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: List / Challenge idea

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:54:25 -0600 "David Phillips" <david@acz.org>
writes:
>but I doubt too many people are up to writing a full screen game of
>life at
>30+ fps.  Besides, it would take too much time to write just for
>something cool to look at.  Something useful would be better.

i seriously doubt anyone could do better than 10 fps.  i think 30 fps
would give you ~20 clocks per pixel.  that's about 2-4 instructions.

>First, screen transitions/effects.  There are all kinds of cool ways to
>clear the screen.

sounds fun

>We could come up with rules and see who could do the neatest looking
>effect.
>Since there's no good way to time code, we'd need a judge to tell
>who's looked the best.

you could always count clocks :)

>The other idea for a challenge is a fastest routine challenge.  The
>two routines that come to mind are a grayscale PutSprite and a Line
>routine.
>Both would be useful.  Since there are so many ways to do a putsprite,
>we'd need a standard for it.  I suggest an 8x8, masked grayscale
putsprite,

i'd suggest different categories for putsprite routines

if you're working for speed in any case you can get much better by making
small sacrifices in niftiness or ease of use.  (hey, we're assembly
programmers, what do we need ease of use for?!?)

>routine, I think that Jimmy Mardell's FastLine routine would be
>considered
>standard.  That routine would be tough to beat :)

line gets really messy with limited registers.  maybe if you di and use
the alternate registers

-josh

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]