Re: A86: Re: Telnet on calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: Telnet on calc

>Ok... telnet connections on a calculator... you can only go so far with
>the z80
>
>Even if this is possible, is it really practical? (or cheap)

Well, Telnet83 and Term86 are done, finished, completed programs and you can
download them for free.  Secondly you need a calculator.  I imagine all of
us on this list have that step covered =).  Lastly you need a Graphlink and
a compatible external modem (probably any modem on the planet that's not a
Newcom).

There you go.  For less than $100 you can get your calculator on the net.
For people without calculators, it would cost less than $200.  That's still
a *very* good deal for internet access.  It's telnet access of course, but
you can do almost all aspects of the interent from a unix shell, so this
will be fine for most people.

Why use your calculator when you have a computer in front of you?  I don't
know.. why would you?  I'm talking about situations where you *wouldn't*
have a computer.  Like if you were in a hotel room on vacation with the
family and you wanted to check your email.  Just pull out your calculator
and plug into the wall jack.

And don't forget, what I just talked about in this whole message is reality.
All this stuff works and has been done.  You don't even have to build
anything.  Just buy all the components.

Wireless is another story.  Cellular telephone bills shoot through the roof
if you try to be on the 'net for hours at a time like you do at home.  But
then again this isn't a problem with the calculators.  If you own a laptop,
you *still* have those insane cellphone bills.  It's the wireless part
that's expensive.  This is where the Radio Link comes in.

-Justin Karneges [Infiniti]