A86: TI-UX (was Unix shell)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: TI-UX (was Unix shell)

Originaly, unix commands were not designed to be easy to remember, but easy
to type. ls, cd... It would be nice, but probably not practical to have
commands like those. My idea for the unix shell would be like a sub-OS. It
would sit on top of TI-OS, allowing you to do everything you can do with
TI-OS, along with things designed for TI-UX (official name? pronounced
tee-ux) like programs designed for TI-UX. Most things would be done from a
prompt (#) and you would be able to do regular math from within TI-UX. As
the memory structure of the TI-86 does not allow for directories without
completly rewriting the ROM (anybody want to do this for everyone? I didn't
think so), there would be no need for cd. Alpha mode would probably work
exactly opposite of the way it works in TI-OS. The calc would be in alpha
unless turned off to do math. With a little practice, using an alphabetic
keyboard should not be too hard. Script configuration of TI-UX would be nice
also. Could be used for programs to be started at startup. There is no need
for multiusers. This was only in unix for security. All that is needed for
security is a simple password. Once started, there would be no need to exit,
but and emergency exit function would be added. Shutdown (which should be
'sd') would be used to exit the prompt and display a password prompt, which
would shutdown the calc after a couple of minutes, or shutdown right away,
as alpha does in  the Rascall shell.

Most importantly, TI-UX should be able to completly replace (overlay) TI-OS.