Re: A86: Re: Unused data in MS byte of argument

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: Unused data in MS byte of argument

In a message dated 1/5/99 3:39:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, Jkhum98@aol.com
writes:

> Hmm, actually, each comma is what lets the compiler know its the next byte
> and
>  I dont really see what youre talking about.

1 byte is only 8 bits, and 8 bits only has 256 possible combinations, which
means that it can only go to 255 (zero counts). Any number larger than 255
cannot be stored in a byte. (For you nitpickers, this is assuming you're
counting by ones. :) Therefore, numbers between 265 and 65535 take up at least
two bytes.