Re: A86: 5MHz

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: 5MHz

how did you time it?  don't even tell me you used a stopwatch! :P

the oscillator in the ti86 doesn't use a crystal, so it's quite sensitive
to battery voltage, component tolerence, and even temperature.  the 6 mhz
spec could have been calculated using exactly 6v for power and perfect
components.  reality varies greatly from perfection.

-josh

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:15:21 -0700 "Kirk Meyer" <kirkmeyer@bigfoot.com>
writes:

>Well, after performing a few tests. The TI-86 does not appear to run
>at
>6Mhz. With totally new batteries, the CPU was clocked at about 4.8MHz.
>(With
>older batteries it is more like 4MHz.) This was tested with a routine
>that
>took 360,000,000 t-states. This means one of two things.
>
>[A] TI is lying. I doubt this, since I don't think they make 5Mhz
>processors. (maybe they do?) Also I doubt why TI would lie anyway.
>
>[B] Something is eating up that much processor time (this is with
>interrupts
>disabled by the way). Try the code for yourself, it's at the
>bottom...
>
>Thanks to Brent, Jonah, and JBrett for helping with the tests =)
>
>     Kirk
>
>.org $d748
>
> di
>
> ld b,229