A86: Re: Re: [OT] Chess algorithm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Re: [OT] Chess algorithm

Well, guess what, it is possible.

There is a good chess game for the GB/GBC, Checkmate.  I have only played
the game on emulators, but I know it runs in both GB and GBC mode.  Haven't
seen it in stores, either, for whatever reason.  There is a menu for English
or Japanese text at the beginning, so perhaps it never made it to the US?
No idea.  It is copyright 1999, but might have been re-released in color,
although it doesn't say DX or multiple copyright dates (cart is 8mbits, as
are most color carts).  Will have to flash it when I get back to school, and
see if runs at a different speed on the Pocket GB versus the Color GB,
although I noticed no speed difference on the emulators (although I used
GB97 for GB mode and DBOY for GBC mode).

Now in back to earth (well, TI-86, at least :) terms.  Assuming it does run
on the GB, as I'm convinced it does, it runs at 4 Mhz.  Now, you can't
compare CPU's exactly, as the GB's has no index or shadow registers, is
missing many instructions (like all repeated instructions, most 16-bit
instructions), has a few added (just simple stuff like <ldi
a,(hl)>...nothing cool like MUL) instructions and executes everything on
even cycles (sort of like, you round all t-state counts up so they're
multiples of 4, but not exactly).  But, essentially, the point is that
they're the same CPU, and the GB's is even slower, perhaps significantly, if
you want to argue about it.

As for free memory, you [can] have more on the 86 than on the GB or GBC.
And since the code runs in ROM (unless you copy it to the small work ram
area), it can't be self modify.  On regular GB, you have 8k of work ram, and
can have 8k of battery-backed cart RAM (though this is banked and
switchable, the cart might have 32k).  On the 86, you could have 48k of
contiguous ram, including code execution area.  On the GB, you have 32k of
ROM for code, and 16k is switchable.  So, technically, if you're going by
readable memory, you have the exact same, 48k at once.

If you're curious, Kirk, I'll send you the ROM.  The game is good and if I
saw it in a store, I'd buy it (too bad it doesn't have link play, or two
player on same gb).