Re: A86: [OT] Chess algorithm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: [OT] Chess algorithm

At 15:03 1999-12-26 -0500, you wrote:

>Does anyone know how computer chess programs decide which peice to move?  If
>not, can you point me to a place where I could find out?

http://www.maths.nott.ac.uk/personal/anw/G13GT1/compch.html

Contains LOTS of techniques: Alpha-beta pruning, Iterative deepening,
Killer moves,
The horizon effect, Null moves as well as complete source code listenings.

A well written chess program for the TI-86 should be able to beat
beginners and poor club players without having to think very long. Chessmaster
for the GB (which has a 4 MHz severely reduced Z80 CPU and very little
RAM memory) ain't that bad. And I'm sure it can be done a lot better...

A chess program doesn't require much RAM memory in the opening or
the middlegame, but in the endgame extra RAM makes the program
significantly better (by using hash tables).

--
Jimmy Mårdell                   "God made machine language;
mailto:yarin@acc.umu.se          all the rest is the work of man."