Re: A86: Re: [OT] Chess algorithm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: [OT] Chess algorithm

i seem to recall playing with chessmaster 2000 on a commodore 64. (long,
long ago)  that thing had 64k ram and i think a 1mhz 8bit processor.
how'd they manage that?  unless maybe they had prebuilt table stored on
disk, but i don't think so...

-josh

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 13:55:29 -0700 "Kirk Meyer" <kirkmeyer@bigfoot.com>
writes:

>GNUchess is great because it is free, including the source. It uses a
>simple
>point-based system (with a few tweaks here and there). Note. If
>you're
>thinking of implementing a chess AI on the 86, I'll tell you two
>things:
>
>[A] I already did it. Using my proprietary algo, it took on average of
>10
>minutes to decide on moves only 2 levels deep.
>
>[B] Using GNUchess algos (which are definitely faster), you must have
>at
>least 300kb available for data structures, and that's if you want it
>to be
>pretty slow... For a chess algo, the more memory you can get, the
>better.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.