A86: newbies

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: newbies

as an intermediate asm programmer i am going to have to side with the
people saying "doing is learning." i started asm a few months ago and
the only way i learn is by reading source and reading tutorials.
however...i believe we can improve things quite a bit.
when i started programming asm i already knew hex and binary, but the
"ZShell School" series taught me alot about z80 and im grateful for
them. BUT... they and every tutorial out there lack one thing. ample
examples. granted they usually show AN example but rarely
more....sometimes not at all. I myself have been looking all over for
info on using op regs...and i have found quite a few resources that
describe what they do...but i have found NO examples except to crawl
through source code...in fact, i still don't know how to load
information into op registers and use them. so what i suggest is this.
(Don't flame me...this is only a suggestion!)
    Let us make a repository for code snippets in "little" programs.
fully documented. now i know there already are places putting up
routines but they are updated rarely ( i.e. dim-ti's tcpa). im not even
talking about routines per say. Not routines meaning pieces of code you
just drop in your program. i mean examples of routines to learn from.
this way someone looking for a random number generator ( i don't know
how many messages ive seen asking for one) , a way to access op regs, or
someone trying to figure out how to use the link port, could just go to
the repository and view the snippet (full documented) and run it on
their calc to see how to do it. But this should not only be for
newbies...its for everyone...it should have optimized code (fully
documented) and suggestions.

And as great as creating a basm.inc file sounds, it is pointless(no
flames please). the problem with asm is not the names of calls...it's
the syntax. Changing _clrLCD to _CLRLCD doesn't make things any easier
to remember or use...typing it 2000 times does. maybe using macros would
help newbies for a while just until they get the hang of things, but
it's not THE answer.

o well, there's my 2 pennies worth.

mitos