A86: Re: Assembly

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Assembly

What I was talking about was not dumbing down asm, but instead making a
RAD tool for it.  For instance I know C++ but I will still use Delphi for
most of my programs as it is faster and easier to use.  There is no need
to make something more difficult when it doesn't have to be...

It would be alot easier to do the following...

Dispvtxt(20,7,"My progam")

then to do the following...

 ld bc,$0714	; do both x and y at once
 ld (_penCol),bc	; x=20,y=7
 ld hl,titlestr	; load the sideways string
 call _vputs	; output the sideways string

titlestr:
.db "My Program",0

It just simplifies the process..
Less to type and less to remember..

Kind of like C++..

AP Computer Science Students program for almost a whole year before they
actually find out about the implementation of the classes they are using.
 They don't start people off by showing them what is inside the
iostream.h file.  Instead they show them what is important at the time
which is how to use the class.

I feel that creating such a tool that would allow for easier functions
and commands, but still converting to asm would be a great idea as it
would not only introduce newbies to the power of assembly, but would also
give the experience asm programmer a way to create a fast solution to the
problem at hand.  Giving them a program to work with and tweak.

Later,

Chris

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:37:17 -0700 "JBrett" <tbarwick@esn.net> writes:

>>there are some fairly good ideas here, maybe you could contribute
>something
>>*positive*.
>
>Yes, I'm sure the hundreds of questions he's answered are extremely
>negative...
>
>>it is pretty clear to see how basic relates to asm, and a tutorial
>that
>>explains the relation would have helped me quite a bit when i was
>learning,
>>a bit late now tho.
>
>My thoughts are that if you can't learn regular asm, it shouldn't be
>dumbed
>down for you... and if you can't remember _clrLCD, you should go bang
>you
>head on a wall...
>(Note: Not my fault if you sustain injury from last comment... =))
>
>>just explain how basic functions work as asm calls. the most obvious
>is
>>getKy and the call _GetKey
>
>Tutorials teach asm, and source code teaches asm... it's been the same
>for a
>long long while and there's no need to change it for those who can't
>do
>it... if you can't do it, just stick to BASIC.  ASM is an optional
>upgrade
>from basic that requires time and skill to use... I say you can learn
>it, or
>not learn it...
>_________
>JBrett
>tbarwick@esn.net - http://brett.acz.org
>ICQ UIN: 20607010
>AIM: BarwickBJ
>ACZ member - http://www.acz.org
>
>ps - why in the hell do you all think BASIC relates to asm?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Follow-Ups: References: