Re: A86: Hardrive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Hardrive

>Hard drive - data storage (computer will work w/o one, but no operating
>system will boot because it would be missing a boot sector [not to
>notice also a complete OS])

Depends on your definition of complete OS. You can boot basically a full
version of DOS 6.2 or Linux from a disk. I'm not saying you'd want to do
that in the longterm, but it is possible.

Also, a neat little trick that Be, Inc. used with the demo disk for BeOS
(Which is, incidently a mere $1.40 -- check it out!) is made it a bootable
CD-ROM. Thus you get a read-only version of the OS to fiddle around with.
You can boot this right off your CD-ROM drive and your hard drive isn't
involved. I think its possible that someday you'll be booting off a DVD
changer with one 17GB OS disc in there. Someday...