Re: A86: ld HL call

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: ld HL call

At 12:11 AM 9/14/98 EDT, you wrote:

>ok,
>
>I saw in an example prog the folowing code:
>

>	call _clrLCD	; clear the screen
>	ld hl, $0000	; stores $00 in h, $00 in l
>	ld (_curRow),hl	; stores 0 in _curRow, 0 in _curCol
>	ld hl, Hello	; hl points to string Hello
>	call _puts		; print the string
>	ld a, '!'		; load ! character in A
>	call _putc		; print '!'
>	call _newline	; go to next line
>	ret				; return from program
>

>The seconline of that reads:
>	ld hl, $0000
>is that making sure that 'hl' has nothing in it so that the next command:
>	ld hl, Hello
>can make hl be whatever 'hello' is?

No, it's making sure hl is zero so the next command:
	ld (_curRow), hl
will put the cursor at the top left of the screen

>also,  what does this mean:?
>	call _putc
>is that putCHARACTER?
>and putS is putSTRING?

Yes that's it.

>but how does 'putc' know to read the character in 'A'?

Putc is a piece of code in the rom that was programed to take whatever's in
the A register and put it on the screen.  The same way puts knows to use
hl, it was programmed that way.
--
Andy Johnson <prjohnson@utahlinx.com>