Re: A86: writeback??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: writeback??

> Can someone please explain the concept of writeback to me?

On the 86, all assembly programs are copied to a dedicated
place in RAM to be run.  The problem with this is they are
never copied back, so any changes made to the actual program,
like saved high scores and settings, are erased.  The only
current way around this is to write smart programs that find
the original copies of themselves and change that copy instead.

"Writeback" is the word given to the act of copying the program
back out of the dedicated area and onto the main copy when
it's done running.  This way, all changes made to the program
(like saved high scores) are kept instead of just being erased.
The original AShell is the only program I know of that writes
back on the 86.  All of the other shells and the asm() command
just erase the copy when it's done.