Re: A86: Show Down, (Life)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Show Down, (Life)

{{I am sorry that some of the people on this list think that other
people
on the list can't program.  I can't name names (I deleted all those
messages).  How about a show down:
Conway's Game of Life, who ever can refresh the entire screen (all 128 *
64 pixels) the fastest, is the winner.  I'm sure these two people know
what Life is, if they've been around for any time.
This is probably not the best challenge, because this has been done _so_
often, and there are _so_ many programs out there (complete with code).
Does anyone have a better challenge?
Also I have a question, How many programmers here listen to country
music?
Sam (listening to his country music)}}

A better challenge would have to be a full sprite based game.  The rules
are as follows:

1.  RPG Final Fantasy Legend 2 (on Gameboy) type fighting screen.
   a.  algorithm for damage is up to you, but must use all status
   b.  gaining levels increase status
2.  4 allies:
   a.  hit points, attack, defense, agility, experience, level
   b.  weapon, shield, armor, pendants
   c.  weaknesses, strengths of at least 4 elements (fire, water, etc.)
   d.  16x8 sprite of characters
3.  at least 64x64 "running" landscape
   a.  at least 2 monsters in each of 10 "zones"
       i.   hit points, attack, defense, agility
       ii.  weaknesses, strengths of 4 elements
       iii. 1 item that it "could" give up
       iv.  at least 16x8 sprite of monster
   b.  8x8 sprites for each 1x1 section of landscape
       i.   must have at least plain, grass, trees, mountains, water
       ii.  collision detection for trees, mountains, and water
   c.  64x64=4096 meaning, that's how many squares the characters are
able to walk on (since trees, mountains, and water aren't walkable, the
landscape is going to be more than 64x64)
4.  at least 1 town
   a.  the town is an 8x8 sprite
   b.  when walked on, HP is fully restored
   c.  for "extra credit," make the town another "scene"

that's about it...is this too simple, because I could always make
harder.

-Rob
p.s.  I hate country music, everytime I hear it it rattles inside my
brain and I get a headache.