Re: A86: How do you create assembly?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: How do you create assembly?

In a message dated 10/13/98 5:06:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, laserc@juno.com
writes:

> I am pretty good with calculators, according to the people in all of my
>  classes, if you have a problem with your calculator, you would come to
>  me.  But the only thing that I don't understand or tried to learn was
>  assembly.  How did all of you as an e-mail list learn how to do assembly?
>   And also, is there a type of program that you can automatically turn a
>  basic game to an assembly game?  If my questions could be quenched, I
>  would greatly appreciate it.

you can't learn asm directly from the mailing list.  the first step is to
become familiar with the z80 in general (registers, stack, interrupts, etc.).
then learn about 86 specific things.  there are plenty of tutorials out there
that can help you with both steps (see the other response).

as for that program that converts basic to asm, if someone out there does have
it, it'd sure be nice of them to let the rest of us use it.  as of now,
though, there is no such program.  besides, the way things are done in basic
and asm is so incredibly different, if a program actually existed, it would
produce huge, slow, boring programs (not much can be done in basic).  i
suggest you learn asm yourself, then, if you want to port a basic prog, you'll
have to rewrite it completely, but then you can add a bunch of things that
basic progs can't do, particularly graphics.

now i'll end this mindless babble...